School-Led Tutoring is part of the National Tutoring Programme (NTP) in 2021/22. Eligible state-funded schools receive a ring-fenced grant to source their own tutoring provision for disadvantaged and vulnerable pupils who have missed the most education due to COVID-19 .
Under School-Led Tutoring, all eligible state-funded schools are given a ringfenced grant to fund locally sourced tutoring provision for disadvantaged pupils. This could include using existing staff such as teachers and teaching assistants or external tutoring resources such as private tutors or returning teachers. The grant gives schools the flexibility to use tutors with whom they are familiar. Eligibility: All state-funded schools with pupils eligible for pupil premium will receive a ring-fenced grant. Funding: From May 2022, funding will be allocated for around 76% of pupils, in Year 1 to 11, eligible for pupil premium, per school. This is additional funding for schools to deliver tuition within 2021/22 academic year. 75% of the cost is subsidised in academic year 2021/22. Schools will need to fund the remaining 25% through other budgets, for example recovery premium or pupil premium. The subsidy rate for 2022/23 will be 60% and for 2023/24 will be 25%.
The guidance and requirements are detailed – including numbers of hours each child should receive. The detailed guidance can be found www.gov.uk/government/publications/school-led-tutoring-grant
In June 2020 the government announced £1 billion of funding to support children and young people to catch up on missed learning caused by coronavirus (COVID19). This is especially important for the most vulnerable pupils and pupils from disadvantaged backgrounds who we know have been most affected. This funding includes:
- a one-off universal £650 million catch-up premium for the 2020 to 2021 academic year to ensure that schools have the support they need to help all pupils make up for missed learning
- a £350 million National Tutoring Programme to provide additional, targeted support for those children and young people who need the most help, which includes: